What Are Database Driven Websites?
Database driven websites provide abundant, sophisticated, and user friendly functionality. Databases function by helping you fetch and display information into a web page each time it is loaded. Websites driven by databases update information automatically without manual effort.
- Store information, such as a real estate website where the property information is added/edited/deleted within a database, which will in turn help the front-end visitors view the most current information.
- Retrieve updated information similar to that of online banking websites, where a customer logs in to view their bank statements, which are updated in the database thereby displaying the result to the customer.
- Store and display dynamic content, so that customization of delivered matter can be personalized to individual users such as "Language Preferences", or "Shopping Wish Lists", such that the stored information supplied, can be used on the customer's next visit.
Database Driven Website Examples
Some examples of the kinds of database driven websites that we have created:
- Web-based database management system
- Online shopping cart / e-commerce database
- Real estate property information
- Employment opportunities posting system
- Social networking systems
- Web-based community content system
- Complex user feedback forms
- Open source cms - joomla, drupal
- Forums, wordpress blogs
- Classified systems
Do You Need a Database Driven Website?
Whether you are creating a new website or redesigning an older website, there are 2 most important questions you should answer before you beginto consider database driven development:
1. How often will the content change?
2. How will the content be updated?
For basic "brochure" websites that simply provide general information that won't be changing very often, a straightfoward XHTML/CSS website is recommended, where the site can be updated as needed. However, if you look forward to the information on your site to be changing on a regular basis - press releases, new product info, pricing, etc. - then you should strongly consider a database driven website design.
A database driven website has many advantages over a basic website. The most imperative ones include:
- Content Management -
A non-database driven website will always require a programmer to make updates, which can lead to slow turnarounds for the required set of changes. On the other hand, a database driven website allows the web site owner to make changes any time according to your convenience, without having to depend on a developer or knowing HTML programming. By using password-protected, content management tools, you can quickly and easily update your website's content. See Content Management Systems.
- Future Expansion - Should you decide down the road to make changes to the layout or change/replace/add any functionality to your website, the task can be easily accomplished.
- Improving Stability - While you are updating your website with the help of a programmer, it may so happen that they leave the work unexpectedly. In such cases, if your source files are lost along with your programmer, it means your work will need to be created all over again. This is where database driven development excels where in such a case, your content is never lost.
- Cutting Production and Update Costs -
Our database driven website solutions are highly affordable as you'll be able to make most of the changes yourself. Even if content volumes are large and you need to hire someone to perform the job of maintaining the database, the management is so easy that virtually anyone can do it!
- Data Storage -
Our solutions allow for using a database together with your web server, by which you can save structured information (like customer data or contact information) in a single place and automatically create several web pages on-the-fly such as an employee directory or a web-based service request application. Specific data can be reused in while keeping the effort of maintenance at very low levels.
- More Efficiency - Global changes to the layout, navigation, or website structure are fast and easy. Our database driven solutions will take care of propagating those changes to the appropriate pages and areas. Other benefits include both improved reliability and stability.